Graduation on the Horizon

12:22 PM



This is it my friends.


The moment I have been working towards since 2015.


This week is the last week of my practicum, where I am learning how to be a therapist by working with real clients under the tutelage of some really amazing supervisors (I haven't blogged about this because there isn't much about it that I can actually share due to confidentiality reasons). The end of the month marks the end of all my classes save for one.


I have one class left. Just one.


And then, in December, I will graduate with a Master's in Counseling Psychology and can apply for my associateship, and then I can actually, finally, finally, change careers.

I am sure I will have more poignant things to say when graduation is finally here, but the end of practicum is a big deal. I've accrued the 400 hours of practicum to graduate (at least 200 are direct counseling hours where I work with clients face-to-face). I have done all the coursework (save for the one class, that is). It's finally here.

There are a few things I have to do in order to reach that milestone, however:

  • Pay $2,778.53 for the last class (financial aid doesn't stretch that much when you are a graduate student)
  • Pay $250 to apply for graduation
  • Pay $70+ for Livescan
  • Pay $150 to apply for associateship
  • Plus whatever costs for testing that I may be forgetting.

Changing careers is hard. It isn't cheap, either. I am working two jobs right now, while also finishing my Master's. It is hard enough for me, and I can't imagine how hard it is for someone with a family, kids, people they need to care for, or a different socioeconomic status as me. I recognize that my privilege of not having a family, of having a previous degree that has helped me get a better paying job (although I am STILL underpaid...ahem) so that I can afford college, and of course other privileges have helped me immensely in changing careers, while I also understand that things could have been a lot easier. 

But I did the work. I put in the effort. The victory is mine.

And while I love school, because trust me, I'd do this for free and with no reward of a degree if I could, I am happy to see it coming to an end. Maybe, in the future, I will pursue an English degree for funsies (I mean, if I am already reading, why not?). But for now, this journey is coming to a close.

Which just means there's going to be room for more journeys to come. 

<3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images