My Personal Rules for College Success

6:00 PM

a phd in student - a blog for students in their 30s



Going to college is not an easy decision. It is one that will impact every facet of your life. As an adult, it is another responsibility to add to all the others you already have. When I decided to go back, I knew I needed to commit 100%. I wasn't going to go to be a B or C student. I was going to give an A effort.


Since I've returned, I've maintained a 4.0 GPA (not cumulative). A fellow student asked me how I was able to pull this off, and I told her that you just need to find your flow. Flow is a corporate word that is tossed around to mean "in the zone" or "find your groove". Basically, it means find a way of working things that works for you and use that way to find success.

I could tell she was a little confused, so I will break down my flow into 10 rules:


  1. Do not be absent unless there is a good reason.
  2. Do all the extra credit, within reason.
  3. Always read the book!
  4. Make a Powerpoint for every presentation.
  5. Always ask.
  6. Be prepared to take the leadership role in group projects.
  7. Never procrastinate.
  8. Don't rob time.
  9. Always go the extra mile!
  10. I know me best.
That's great, but what does all that mean? I will tell you:

Do not be absent unless there is a good reason.
I always make a point to go to every class meeting. Amazing discussions happen during class meetings, and besides...you miss a class and you miss out on so much content.
Some teachers like to assign stuff on days surrounding holidays, so don't come back surprised that you missed an assignment that you can't make up.

However, I do have an autoimmune disease, and if I feel like I just can't make a class and it isn't a test day or a day when an assignment is due, I have given myself permission to miss it. This has happened once.

Do all the extra credit, within reason.
If you teacher asks you to do something you can't feasibly do, skip it. But try to do every extra credit assignment or question, and don't wait until the end of the semester to ask for it. It's like an insurance policy, and who doesn't like that?

Always read the book!
The teachers always sneak a few questions that come from the book, but not the lectures, into their tests. And you really can't discuss the topic in class if you didn't do the reading. That will suck your participation points dry.

Make a Powerpoint for every presentation.
Even if it isn’t in the requirements for the assignment, and even if I don’t end up using it, I make a Powerpoint if I’m going to be talking in front of the class. I feel like this takes the focus off of me, and it gives your presentation a polished effect. Plus, I freaking love making Powerpoints.

Besides, you can always tuck your best ones into a portfolio for later.

Always ask.
Some people have issues asking questions in class or asking for help because it is like a hit to their pride. You have to get past this and speak up. The whole point of school is that you don't know something and you want to know it, so why not ask questions? Do what you need in order to succeed, even if that means asking for help.

Be prepared to take the leadership role in group projects.
Many people in the group are waiting for someone to step in and be the leader/representative because they’re either intimidated by the prospect or they’ve got too much going on in their lives to assume the role. And that’s okay!
Right?

If no one steps up immediately, be prepared to take the reigns. Be sure you know what that means though. It's not a position to take lightly. You have responsibilities to your fellow group members as the leader and you had better be prepared to serve your role.

Never procrastinate.
Procrastination is not an affliction of the lazy. It’s an affliction of fear. When things look “too big”, intimidating, or daunting, we often put things off. I can too easily fall into the cycle of intimidated>fear>frustration>anger>procrastination>panic, so I make sure I stay ahead and recognize when fear starts to make obstacles in my mind.

I break things down into steps, and I make a timeline for each and every paper or project. I know when things need to get done, and I put time into the timeline in case something goes wrong (like a printer breaking or I can’t find a source I need). 

While I can write a paper the night before, it’s not fun living in a state of panic and losing sleep. For my own health related issues, and because I can recognize the procrastination cycle for what it is, I owe it to myself to start early.

Don’t rob time.
Budget your time and keep to that budget. Just like a financial envelope budget system, don't rob from one envelope to feed another. Don't rob your "family time" envelope to fill your "school work" envelope, and don't rob your "sleep" envelope to fill your "research paper" envelope. And like money, don't budget for time you don't have. In the beginning of the semester, if your schedule structure means you will be robbing from your other time envelopes, drop a class or restructure things.

Always go the extra mile.
I work hard to make my projects and papers complete, thorough, and polished. I start early and I put a ton of effort into whatever is before me. Many teachers can be vague with requirements. I make sure I cover everything they ask for, and then I complete the paper or project to satisfy my own standards. 
Three page papers often end up being 5 pagers. I draw diagrams, include photos and examples, read extra books that aren’t part of the curriculum, do Powerpoints, do extra credit, etc. 

It is easy to be average or satisfactory. It’s even easy to be great. But I push myself every single time to find a part of myself that can just go a little bit more. Many people mistake this mentality as trying to suck up to teachers or trying to be perfect. This has nothing to do with that. This has to do with my commitment and dedication to myself. I know I am capable of great things.


The only checklist of expectations you need to maintain is your own.

I know me best.
The key to all of this? I know me best. I know what I am capable of, and I know my limits. I respect those limits. I respect my potential. If anyone has an issue about something I do or don't do, that's on them! I don't have to live up to anyone's expectations but my own. This has caused quite a bit of conflict, and unfortunately, most of it is not in the classroom. I've decided that I cannot put energy towards this, and have a sort of tunnel vision that weeds out all the naysayers. I know my mission and my dedication to myself and I do not let anyone's negativity get the better of me. 


How do you turn this into something you can use?
Look at your priorities and schedule. Be honest with yourself. Where can you push yourself a little more and where are you pushing yourself too much? Being honest with yourself, establishing boundaries, and saying no to negativity are seriously some of the biggest keys to success. But none of that matters if you don't want it.

When you want success, you will find your own rules falling into place.  
SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images