Creating a Timeline for Assignments

5:00 PM

a phd in student - a blog for students in their 30s

A new semester has started, and you are staring down at a nice, shiny stack of syllabi. Each one has a schedule of assignments and projects in it, and now you are pretty much on your own. This is when the panic starts to set in. You do your best, but barely keep your head above water. Not a week goes by where you don't have a paper or project due, and by the time you are done with one, its onto the next.


All you want is a chance to breathe.

If this sounds like you, you may be taking the "cross that bridge when you come to it" approach to college. It may work for you, but it may not. What's worse, you may be one of those people who fall into a cycle of procrastination and panic. And that is never good, even if you manage to pull it off with an A+. It's not good for your health, or to your other priorities that you are robbing time from.

I've learned that the key to a less stressful success is planning ahead. Way ahead.

How do I do this? I create a timeline for each paper or project. I've adopted this process as a part of working with project management in a corporate atmosphere, and now I try to do this for every assignment (even if just mentally). Let me show you how:



First, look at the assignment and its requirements.
I'll show you an example with a paper I just completed, a Film Analysis project for my Children and Diversity class:

"Film Analysis Project: Students will view a film pertaining to racism, prejudice, or discrimination. Your choice can be a current film release or a classic. Prepare a three page paper which rates the theme of the film to course content. A receipt is required, no exceptions. Due September 3rd."

 Make sure you understand the paper, and ask any questions to clarify. But since you have receipt of the syllabus, the teacher is going to assume you read this prompt.



Look at the prompt to discover key parts.
What about this prompt can be seen as separate "parts"?

  1. First, it's a film analysis project. You are going to analyze a film. What does that mean? If you have not done a project like this before, it means more than just reporting what you saw. Now you know what type of paper it will be. If you don't know how to write an analysis, you need time in your timeline to figure out how.
  2. You have to view a film about racism, prejudice, or discrimination. This means you can search for a specific type of film, and know to leave other types out. The date of the film doesn't seem important here, since the teacher said it could be current or a classic. I will have to create time in the timeline to search for the film.
  3. The paper must be at least 3 pages. This means you need to generate enough analysis of the film to fill three pages. Not two, not two and a half. Three whole pages (not including works cited, which you must use if you cite sources, and a film is a source!). So I have to build time into my timeline for writing and revising at least 3 pages, and to creating a works cited page.
  4. Relate the theme of the film to the course content! A-ha! Here's your clue as to how to conduct your analysis. This is the big ticket to success in your paper. The course has to deal with Children and Diversity, so now I know that the paper has to relate to children in some way.
  5. A receipt is required! So the teacher doesn't want us to refer to a movie we have seen in the past or that we currently own. This means I need to build time into the timeline to purchase the film and watch it.
  6. Due September 3rd. We received this syllabus on August 20th. This tells me that I have 2 weeks to complete the project.



Consider your existing schedule.


Moo doesn't get the point of organizing time if it doesn't include time for tummy rubs.

I work full time from 8 to 5, and I also go to school "full time". This means I need to take into consideration all the other priorities to plan out this project.

Child Development, Health & Wellness Tuesdays 7-10PM
Philosophy, Intro to Religion, Wednesdays 7-10PM
Intermediate Algebra, Fridays, 6-10PM
Child Development, Children & Diversity, Saturdays, 1-4PM

Moo reminds me that I have a lot of math homework to do, then mocks me by falling to sleep.

My schedule allows for Monday evenings, Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and evenings, and all day Sunday to be free. However, I also have homework for other classes to do. So I will consider the workload for each class:

Child Development, Health & Wellness: Read one small chapter a week, usually done on lunch breaks.
Philosophy, Intro to Religion: Read one chapter a week and do one worksheet a week. Usually done on lunch breaks.
Intermediate Algebra: Hours of homework, usually 3 to 6 hours a week.
Child Development, Children & Diversity: No book, but a project due sporadically throughout the semester.


So it seems that a huge chunk of my time is capitalized by Math. I need this time because I am not that great at Math, so I am not going to rob time from this required class. I need it to graduate!

I do not have kids, and I do not have a husband. But if I did, I would consider this a part of my priorities! I probably would not be taking college full time, or I wouldn't be working full time. But if you do have kids and a SO, I would consider the time you need to dedicate to them when creating a timeline.

I do consider other priorities I have, though, like my family, chores, and taking care of pets.



Consider how much time each part of your paper will require.
Some parts will require a little bit of time, and some will require much more time. 

  • I know how to write an analysis, so I won't budget that in my timeline. 
  • I need to search for a film. I should find this info quickly because the internet is full of lists and posts about racism, and should give me my results fast. 1 Hour
  • Watch the film! I chose the film 42, which is 2 hours and 8 minutes. But I also had to pause the film and take notes. So let's round that up to 3 hours. 3 Hours
  • But wait! What if I don't get paid until a certain time, and I can't purchase this film right away for some reason? For this project, I had to wait a week to buy the film because I had bills to pay, food to buy, and gas that needed to be put in my car. I'm sure I could have afforded the cost of the film, but I didn't want to chance it. So I decided to wait until I got paid. 1 Week
  • Writing and revising the paper is not hard for me. I'm a fast typer, and I have a background in writing so it's not hard for me to get my thoughts down on paper. However, I didn't want to wait to the last minute, because this just leads to a cycle of panic and a substandard paper. I considered how long it takes for me to write a paper (3 or 4 hours), how much it would take to do a potential re-write (3 or 4 hours), and various edits, as well as printing (and any problems that can come with a printer...I give myself a day just in case my printer is out of ink!). So let's say this is about 1 week.

These are all guesstimates. If you know how you work with assignments, this step will be easy for you. If not, better be safe than sorry, and pad time into your timeline.



Put these chunks into your calendar.


Wow. Considering all of this, it looks like this project is going to take more time than one would expect just by looking at it! I will use the week that I wait to get paid to do other homework in advance so I am not worried about it while I am writing the paper. Saturday the 3rd should be clear, and I don't budget it for anything save for a buffer incase the worst comes to happen. It's always prudent to have an emergency time buffer for things that arise that you won't have control over! 



Consider the calendar like a budget for time, and consider each chunk to be a mini deadline.
Here's how the deadlines look for this project:

  • August 26: Have the search done and decision made on the film to watch by this date.
  • August 27: The film must be watched and notes must be taken by the end of this date.
  • August 28: The paper should be written by this time.
  • September 1: Paper should be finished by this date!
  • September 2: Paper should be printed by the end of this date.
  • September 3: Paper due!



Break these mini deadlines into micro-mini-deadlines.
I have the luxury of being a fast typer and am able to communicate rather well on paper. This may not be the case for you. Thus, you may need to break down some of these chunks into tinier chunks. These micro-mini-deadlines are only to keep you on track. 

For writing the paper, you know there are certain steps you need to take (could differ depending on how you learned to write essays):
  • Outline the paper's structure
  • Plug your info into the outline.
  • Create sentences that reflect this info in the outline.
  • Find any sources you need.
  • Polish into an essay with hooks and transitions.
  • Plug in your citations.
  • Create a works cited sheet (or bibliography). 
If I were going to put these micro-mini-deadlines into my chunk of 4 hours to write a paper, I'd break it up like this:

  • Outline the paper's structure: 10 minutes
  • Plug your info into the outline. 20 - 30 minutes
  • Create sentences that reflect this info in the outline. 1 to 2 hours
  • Find any sources you need. I only needed two sources for this project, so 20 minutes
  • Polish into an essay with hooks and transitions. 20 minutes
  • Plug in your citations. 30 minutes
  • Create a works cited sheet (or bibliography). 10 minutes
That's a loose structure for 4 hours, but it gives me a good expectation in order to hit my time budget.



Try to stick to the timeline.
Do your best to stick to the timeline. What I love best about the timeline is that it's just a guideline. It gives me the ability to track my progress and make sure everything that needs to get done, gets done. But the project hardly ever matches what I planned out on paper, and that's okay. 

How did this project match up with the timeline?

I finished my Math homework early, so I was able to dedicate more time to the project on the 28th, and finished the paper early. But, then I ran into a snag as I researched Jackie Robinson more thoroughly, and as well as the Kaepernick protest. So I rewrote the entire thing on Monday and Tuesday to reflect the parallels between 1947 and 2016, and how that related to children and diversity. 

I finished it on Thursday, and printed it on Saturday morning, taking a chance with the printer (which caused no problems because I had planned ahead and purchased a new cartridge at the beginning of the semester!).

The timeline worked because I took the foresight to search for the film, purchase, and view it as far ahead as I did, considering that I had to wait to be paid. But when faced with a rewrite, I had most of the work done on Sunday, and just re-plugged in my info from the older draft into the newer one.

You may create a timeline however you wish. Some people like checklists, some people keep mental timelines (which I do for most papers that are not major). However, managing your time can really help you avoid catastrophes that can cost you points!


Reflect on your process and your grade.

I thought that was a W, not gonna lie.

I received my paper back with a full 100%. Aside from some editing that I wasn't sure of, it seemed that the paper was a success. I did go over the recommended page amount, but I think the extra time I put into it to cover the Kaepernick parallels were worth it.

See how the timeline worked and how it didn't. Maybe you underestimated some aspects of your timeline that left you scrambling, or maybe you missed a step that didn't make it into your planning, and your timeline got tighter. Or maybe you got discouraged that planning took more time than you wanted it to. Either way, practice makes perfect. You'll be able to customize it to your needs as you go along, and the process will get faster and more streamlined the more you make it a habit!

Hopefully, then, your grade will start to improve, or the procrastination, anxiety, and panic cycles will ease up. Waiting until the end of the semester to sleep or get a breather isn't very healthy. You owe it to yourself to take care of you, and this method can help you remain dedicated to yourself!


"Successful people are simply those with successful habits."  - Brian Tracy

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images