College Public Speaking Classes Introverts Must Take

8:13 PM

a phd in student - a blog for students in their 30s


I got a few weird looks from my fellow classmates while reading Introvert Power while sitting outside a classroom, waiting for class to start. And rightly so, considering the class we were waiting for. It was Spring 2016, and my second semester back to school. The class was speech.


Fifteen years ago, I opted out of speech class, as I was horribly afraid of speaking to people, let alone public speaking. At that time, I took it as an insult when people called me shy, awkward, or introverted. And they meant it as an insult too. I didn’t want to be these things, because to the majority of people I met, they were negative qualities. But I was so afraid of showing my introverted tendencies that just trying to challenge the negativity was a source of anxiety.

I love this book for its affirming messages alone. There is nothing wrong with being introverted!

Fifteen years ago, I wouldn’t have had the courage to even look at Introvert Power in the bookstore, let alone buy it. However, in the fifteen years that had followed, I realized after making several presentations before salespeople and CEOs of companies, that being good at public speaking and being introverted are not mutually exclusive. Neither was public speaking and shyness or being socially anxious, for that matter.

And, like Introvert Power says, I also realized that being introverted wasn't a bad thing at all. 

I had decided to continue the “exposure therapy” with speech class, as I figured I had gotten my start in speaking before important fashion executives anyway (if you've seen The Devil Wears Prada, you know it really can't get more anxiety inducing than that!). I put myself in classes where I knew I would be uncomfortable, and pushed myself beyond my comfort zone, knowing that no one was going to do that for me. In the end, this helped me immensely in my second round of college. I was unafraid to speak up in class, I created powerful presentations, and got my message out, loud and clear. I have participated in some awesome discussions, and never suffered for participation points.


Here are four classes you should consider to move past the limits of Introvert, Shy, and Social Anxiety labels:

Speech – Speech class (or public speaking) may be required in order to graduate or transfer. This class not only requires speaking in public through delivery of speeches, but also teaches how to create different types of speeches and presentations. Depending on the teacher and class structure, students are required to give impromptu speeches throughout the semester or quarter. I loved how this class brought me out of my shell and gave me the opportunity to speak about things that meant a lot to me, including plus size clothing price gouging, feminism, travel, bullying prevention, and my career change.

Journalism – Journalism classes prepare a student for article preparation and writing, page editing, interview skills, and information gathering. Working with a team of people to create a publication hones interpersonal skills, and going out on assignment gets the student in a place where asking questions is mandatory – yet serves a purpose. Alongside public speaking, journalism can give a student some important skills that look great on a resume, including writing, editing, layout, and graphic design (if applicable). I enjoyed the feeling that I was contributing to a whole while in journalism, and that I was part of something important. Most of all, I liked being connected to people and the community, and exploring topics that held interest to me.

Storytelling/Oral Interpretation of Literature – This class usually requires Speech or Public Speaking as a prerequisite. In this class, students analyze literature to present in a storytelling method. Students have to understand the nuances and meanings of literature to create dramatic effect, and break down fear of “looking stupid” in front of a crowd to complete assignments. I haven’t taken this class yet, but now I really want to!

Child Development: Creative Arts – Like Storytelling and Oral Interpretation of Literature, this class does some of the same things but is usually in Child Development or Education majors. A big part of teaching to little kids is presenting stories and curriculum in ways that keep kids interested. The use of props, songs, and musical instruments may be used. This class is not required for me to graduate but I will be taking it anyway.

Theater/Drama – Theater employs techniques that help students “get out of their head," where overthinking and anxiety live. Acting is just pretending in front of people, and requires the skills of memorization, understanding drama, voice projection (some of us introverts don't realize how quiet we truly are!), and more. I’ve yet to take a theater or drama class, but I know a few people who have and have come out transformed. The fear of looking silly in front of people sort of melts away. How freeing!

With these classes, you can work on getting all those beautiful thoughts out in a cohesive and informative way.

These classes aren’t going to magically make an introverted person change into an extrovert. That's like asking a cat to suddenly become a dog one day. It's just not how they are wired!

These classes are going to teach skills that extroverted people have as a part of how they think and operate. I think it’s great to have these skills as an introverted person because as introverts we have the power of switching it off and going back to our fortresses of solitude to recharge when we want. We can also cast aside the stigma of introversion, and refuse to be ignored. Introversion doesn’t mean that we have nothing to say, or that we can't carry on an intelligent conversation. Quite the opposite! We can apply our own skills - observing, learning, research, critical thinking - to that of public speaking, and create effective and succinct ways of communicating.

I encourage you to attempt one of these classes. It may take a few tries, and it won’t be without blunders or mistakes, and that’s okay. Do your best, and remember that the only barriers you will face in those classes are erected by your own fears. Smash through them! You got this.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images