Anti-Bias Children's Lit Part 2: Race, Adoption, & Homelessness

5:42 PM

a phd in student - a blog for students in their 30s

See Part One here.

'The next leg of my quest to find a great anti-bias book had me looking at other anti-bias themes. I was a bit sad to abandon STEM representation, but Ada Twist, Scientist came the closest to fulfilling my needs for this assignment, but missed out on targeted audience age ranges. That left me needing a book that satisfied Anti-Bias Curriculum's requirements for children ages 3 to 5.

I set out to find booklists with anti-bias books, but only found a few. Pinterest had a few hits, and I gathered four into a bookstore shopping cart and checked out, hoping for the best.

All the Colors of the Earth
This is a cute book written and illustrated by Sheila Hamanaka that gently shows children how everyone has a different skin tone and different physical qualities that make them unique. The illustrations are realistic oil-painted scenes, and the prose is a very simple poem.

All the Colors of the Earth compares children's skin and hair to colors and textures found in nature.


There are no main characters, but tons of little kids shown playing, pretending, and enjoying each other's differences. There are plenty of opportunities for the teacher to bring sounds and textures into the experience, with bear roars, whispers, and musical sounds - like rainmakers and chimes - being mentioned.

I do feel like the poem stretched a bit to make things work, and for the book itself to be overly simple. However, it was my favorite multi-cultural book after perusing several others. I kept it in mind and moved to another.

The Teddy Bear
I was drawn to this book after visiting Peace Library's anti-bias book list, as it provided visibility to an often invisible group of people. Written by David McPhail, the story is one about a boy who loses his favorite toy in a restaurant, only for said toy to be adopted by a homeless man who finds it in the trash.


The Teddy Bear features the often excluded homeless population in its storyline.


I found the illustrations to be a little outdated, but I think children might find them appealing still. The prose was easy to read and follow, and did not have words that were too big for preschoolers to understand. The boy, who is not named, loses his Teddy Bear at a restaurant, but soon forgets about the toy when it could not be found. Unbeknownst to him, the Teddy Bear - alone and frightened - had been thrown out in the trash, where a homeless man finds it and adopts it as his own.

While at first frightened, the Teddy Bear soon finds a home with the homeless man, and waits patiently while the homeless man makes his rounds during the day. However, one day the homeless man leaves the Teddy Bear to wait on a bench, and the little boy recognizes it while passing by. The boy grabs up the Teddy Bear, but then sees the homeless man crying when he returned to the park bench to find his new companion missing.

The boy returns the Teddy Bear to him in a show of compassion, understanding that the bear meant more to this man than it did to him.

I loved this book because of the message of compassion, and also how it portrayed the homeless man. Any adult who reads this will know that the man in this book is homeless, and along with the word 'homeless' comes with certain other words that have become a part of the stereotype of homelessness: ugly, dirty, lazy, crazy, etc. However, anyone who has spent time with homeless people knows that this is a harmful stereotype.

The book tells the story that returns the humanity to the homeless character. He is seen as a person who has basic needs and wants much like any other. He needs a place to stay, he needs things to do, he needs food to eat, and he needs company in the face of loneliness. When everyone's choices are reduced to these concepts, it's not hard to see how everyone is in pursuit of some similar things. The boy sees this when he sees the homeless man crying over the loss of the Teddy Bear, and has compassion, understanding as only a child could what a simple Teddy Bear can do for someone so distraught.

While I loved this book, I didn't choose it for the project. I felt that for the teacher of this class, this may not have been a wise choice, as it could be seen as promoting putting children in dangerous situations. I wasn't a fan of the boy's parents not staying by his side while in the park. It seemed to me that for a moment, the parents didn't even know that their kid was gone! Compassion is a very real thing that the world needs more of, but that doesn't mean the parents shouldn't be watching their child.

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
Ok first of all, let me say I was a little starstruck when I got the book and saw it was written by Jamie Lee Curtis. If she ever reads this, all I can say is I loved you as Jessica Day's mom! Plus many other characters!

But anyway. I picked this book because it is about adopted children. I have a cousin who is adopted, and ever since she had been adopted when I was 14, I wanted to adopt kids. It is still a dream of mine. I always thought, "Why make more when there are plenty of other kids who need mommies?" While I have yet to realize my dream, I still hold adopted and foster children as important. I was glad to see that books exist for adopted kids.

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born is a story about the day a child gets adopted.


The premise of the book is simple. A child wants their adoptive mommy and daddy to tell them the story of the night they were born. However, it is obvious that the child has heard this story numerous times before, and tells it themselves (with a photo album labelled 'ME' at the ready)! The child talks about how their parents received a call in the middle of the night, and how their parents rushed onto a plane and to a hospital to meet them. The book also talks about how the child was adopted from a mother who was too young to take care of them, and how the adoptive parents settled into parenthood.

The book lets the audience know that, like any biological family might've done for the child, this adoptive set of parents made sure their adopted child knew they were wanted and loved.

I found this book to be very cute and easy to read, but I found the illustrations by Laura Cornell hard to decipher. The book is copyrighted in 1996, and shares the same artistic style of the 90s as Rugrats. I don't know if little kids would also have trouble understanding the images, but with my poor eyesight I decided there was another book to be presented.

This left me with my fourth and final book, but...that's a blog for another day!
SaveSaveSaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images