Hurtling Towards Graduation: What to Expect When You Are Too Busy to Expect Anything!

8:23 PM



This is it, my friends. Graduation is on the horizon. The final step. What we've been inching towards for all these years, despite the struggles and hardships, triumph and achievements. Times sure have changed for me since starting school again in 2015. I was working in a furniture warehouse doing SEO and social media management for a mismanaged company, I had moved back in with my parents (ouch), and had lost my cat. I was depressed, gaining weight, and had even confessed at one point that I saw no point in going on with living.

The years between saw me regaining confidence in myself and my abilities, in finding a groove in school, and understanding what got me to that point in 2015 and how I was going to propel myself forward. I changed careers, changed majors, and changed schools. I dealt with the hardships of being a transfer student, of having to navigate the hardships of dealing with traditional schooling, and did my best to make myself the best student I could be.

I had dedicated myself 100% to school. I achieved a 4.0 (since returning to school), and my life is so much more different.

I now work as a copywriter for a major fashion retailer and am making decent money. I have my own place, and live in a city I love, with diverse, wonderful and caring neighbors. I have a group of friends at work and in my neighborhood who understand diversity, and who all love each other for who they are. My health is as good as it has been in a long, long time. I can only see things going up from here.

After graduation, I am immediately starting the MFT grad program here at CBU. I am not going to stop or take a break. I have two years of more hard work and determination headed my way, and then I will be able to work as a therapist. My program is a hybrid program so that I can also work with law enforcement if I choose too, which I might.

But I know that not everyone has a plan for after graduation. In case you don't, or you are a bit scared of what is going to happen, read below.

Before you are even close to graduating, work in the field.

When I went to FIDM, no one told me this until I was close to graduating. I had one internship, and that internship was basically me pinning and basting seams, and ripping other seams. It was not worth my time and effort, and did nothing for me. 

Now, I do my best to work or volunteer in the field, even if it isn't a full time job. I volunteer how I can with organizations that are aligned with my future career: I garden with a local food bank that has its own gardening centers that grow food for the homeless and poor, and I assist an organization for troubled youth by acting as an emissary between my work and the organization. I am also planning on volunteering for Big Brother, Big Sister. 

When I go to grad school, I will have hours I must complete in the field, so I don't need to worry too much about experience. But if you don't plan to go to grad school, get involved:
  • Apply for internships as early as you can: if you work full time, look for weekend or evening internships. If you can't leave home after work or school, look for something that lets you volunteer from home, like a hotline. 
  • Practice your art at home: for example, if you go to FIDM, get a dress form and some muslin of both woven and knit, and drape and pattern make at home. The more practice you get, the better. Don't let schoolwork just exist at school. 
  • Expand your education beyond school: sign up for museum tours, lectures, and more. Read books that aren't assigned by your teacher. In fact, ask your teacher for recommended books to read. Ask your teacher for people to interview. Go interview people. For example, I interviewed a family therapist to learn just what went into their job and how she got to where she was (if you're reading this, thank you for the inspiration!)
  • Apply for jobs in your field: even if you are sweeping floors, getting coffee, or doing other menial labor, start applying for jobs. Even if you don't plan on staying there long...a way in is a way in. Don't go for the big companies first, unless they scout for you. Go for some mom & pop type places. You will learn some real nitty gritty stuff there. 
Why do you want to do all this? So when you take the next step, and actually graduate, you are a step ahead. There will be TONS of students who did not work in the field during school, who expect a job when they graduate. That is not how today's job market works. Employers are no longer investing in their employees with training. You want to go in showing that you already have skills and experience.

All of this is going to make it easier for you to market yourself as a new hire after you graduate. You can put experience on your resume/CV, and you can show future employers how you stand out from the crowd.

Make sure your credits are squared up.

Nothing sucks more than applying for graduation and finding out you're a few credits shy of graduation. I've seen it happen. Make an appointment with your counselor and make sure you are on track. Most schools should have a tool that tallies your credits and shows your progress towards graduation. If not, make sure. 

Apply for graduation.

This includes an application and a grad fee, usually. Junior colleges sometimes do not have graduation fees, but CBU does. There is usually a deadline for applying for graduation, too. Make sure you apply on time!

When you get approved, it is usually conditional upon you completing specific requirements. If you don't finish those requirements, you can't graduate, and will be included in the next graduation round. Or, if you are shy a class, they will let you graduate (sometimes) and then make you come back to complete the class.

Celebrate you.

I had a professor tell me that the milestones matter. Graduation does matter. I did not walk when I went to FIDM, as I was just so completely done with school. I was ready to move on with my life! My achievement at FIDM didn't feel like an achievement to me. It just felt like another hassle. And I didn't want to go back to walk. I didn't even go back for exit counseling. I was capital D done.

This time around, I am going to celebrate me. I have purchased a class ring, and I will be walking. I will also be taking graduation photos (some fun ones), and hopefully be having a little get together. Why? Because I want to put a good memory cap on it. I want to build that positive association towards all my hard work. It does work, I promise.

My ring when it will be done! I went with Dunham Jewelry Manufacturing, who seem to have good reviews on their FB page and are way cheaper than Jostens or the others. I got a sapphire to reflect the colors of my school, and a cross because it is a Christian school. The Lancer is the school mascot, and psych is my major. The interior says "2nd Time's the Charm" because I feel so good about going to school and changing my career! Even though Gold is also a school color, I opted for sterling silver because it will last longer.


If you don't want to walk or buy a ring, that is fine. But do something for you. Go on a trip. Buy yourself something to symbolize the end of a journey, and the step forward. Create a reflection journal. Have a cheat day. Get your car detailed. Buy those shoes. Get your hair did. Have a spa day. Just make sure to remember the most important aspect of this journey: YOU.

When I graduate with my Master's, I plan on going to Hawaii or Belize, or maybe even Germany or the Mediterranean. 

If you are going to grad school, apply ahead of time.

You don't wait until you graduate undergrad studies to apply for grad school. I applied a year ahead of time. Certain programs have certain due dates for applications. For mine, since it is an online school, the application deadlines are quarterly. But most are yearly, and require things like essays, recommendation letters, and interviews. Do not wait! Everyone is also going to apply, and if you thought getting into undergrad was hard, grad school is harder. You want your application to be the first, or among the first, as some grad programs have cohorts with limited seats.

Get your cap, gown, and other regalia...and tickets.

My school adds the cap and gown fee with the graduation fee, so I don't need to worry about it. But some don't, so you need to go to the student store and buy the graduation package. The grad package usually includes the cap, gown, and the tassel (which you can upgrade). They also have other sashes, ropes, and medallions that you can add. These usually relate to different organizations if you were a part of them, your GPA or honors awards, or your ethnicity. 



Some schools even have a grad cap decorating party, which I attended for Chaffey. It was a lot of fun, and I was able to create an awesome grad cap with the school's mascot on it (I pretended it was my cat, Moo, who thinks he's a panther).

Also plan for tickets. Some colleges give you a limited amount, and some make you buy them. If you need more than what you get, plan ahead to buy some. Some colleges have an independent Facebook group such as a textbook swap or buy/sell, and you can usually find someone selling their excess tickets there.

And lastly, steam your gown. Usually they come all folded and when you unfold those polyester monstrosities, they have tons of creases. If you have a clothes steamer, steam out those creases. If not, a low setting on an iron with a steamer may work (polyester melts, so don't push it). You an also hang them in a steamy bathroom for a while, during and after shower.


Do you have any other tips for graduation? Let me and other readers know below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images