Mid-Semester Goal Check: Am I On Track?

10:41 AM


a phd in student, a blog for non-traditional students

It's that time. The middle of Spring Semester (or nearing to the end for us, but some people may be in the thick of it still) and we're all a little tired. Tired of being in school, tired of going to school every day, and annoyed by group projects and tests. It's easy to let go of our goals during this time. I revisited a few past posts to make sure I was on track, and was glad to see that I had actually lined out my goals for this Semester.

Here are those goals, just in case:

My Spring 2017 Goals:
  1. Read all my textbooks: This seems like a no-brainer, but how many of us actually read all of our textbooks? Last semester I found myself skimming some books, which I didn't like because I like to read. I think I had some time management issues that kept me from committing to my reading, but this semester I want to stay dedicated. I've even started the reading already!
  2. Do my homework ahead of time: When I come from home from school I like to sit down and watch a show. This semester, I want to come home and immediately get started on homework. 
  3. Really get math out of the way: This is the last semester I want to spend doing Math. I want it done! I need to get it done so I can take statistics, and I do not want to waste another semester in Math!
  4. Be a better team leader: I found myself floundering in one group project last semester because I did not take my own advice and take the leadership role right off the bat. I did not delegate and I did not plan. Even though we got an A, this project caused me a lot of anxiety that planning would have alleviated. My goal is to be a better team leader so at least I can rest a little easier!
  5. Balance school and life a bit better: My room, car, and desk were an atrocious mess after this semester! At some point my organization system crashed and I did nothing to fix it. Papers were everywhere, I abandoned my binder at some point, and my textbooks found a home on the floor of the passenger side of my car. This was not okay...just looking at the mess caused me anxiety because I knew I had to clean it but had no time to do so! This semester, I want to make sure I stay organized, and make sure I have time to take care of Real Life things like cleaning.

Okay. I can see that some of these goals I have stayed right on track with, but others, not so much. Here's the breakdown:
How I am really doing with my goals:
  1. Read all my textbooks: I have actually been really good with this. I've read all my textbooks, but I have not read all of them ahead of time. Two of them I read as the assignments come up, which is fine, but I do read them. I do find myself with a unique problem this semester: I wish I had kept the textbooks from previous semesters. One class, Observation & Assessment, requires us to recall information we learned from other classes, especially Childhood & Development, which has left me trying to recover that information for this semester's research papers from other sources. Thankfully, this semester I bought all my books because they were very cheap.
  2. Do my homework ahead of time: Yes, I have done this, but I have also not also done this. Partway through, I have been...lagging on my math homework (but I have done all of it and have gotten full credit for it). I know, I know! I want to do so well in this class. I find myself having to kick myself in the pants to get going with this class, mainly because I am so over it. But all other classes I have been on top of my homework, and with one class I have my homework done ahead of time. There is a unique problem with this...I did some reports ahead of time and then I forget I did, and when I reread them, I rewrite a few of them because they don't reflect who I am now and what I have learned. But most of the work is out of the way, which is super helpful.
  3. Really get math out of the way. So far, I am on track for this! The drop deadline has come and gone, and from what I gather, I have an A or B in that class. There's a bit of struggle, for sure, but I am getting this class DONE!
  4. Be a better team leader. So I...sort of failed on this one. This semester we have a big group project, at at the beginning one person took the reigns...and then stopped. Then another took the reigns...and then stopped. So I took up the reigns, and I am facing a lot of...stubbornness in trying to get things done. I haven't really faced this sort of dilemma before, where people refuse to meet or do anything, but we'll figure it out. If not, I am prepared to do the project myself. I don't want to, but I know I can if I have to. I am trying to remain positive. Luckily, this teacher gives us the option of grading each other at the end of the semester.
  5. Balance school and life a bit better: This is starting to slip. Things are a mess right now. Not as bad a mess as last semester, but it is starting to get there. I want to go up and clean things, but I have a take home test to do tonight, plus that group project, plus a freelance project due May 1st! I am going to take some time out of this weekend to do some Spring Cleaning.
Well, there you have it. Taking stock of my goals is helping me to figure out how to get back on track. I'm doing a lot better than last semester, and I can definitely plan with these issues in mind for Summer and Fall semester.

How are you doing this semester? How are you meeting your goals? If you aren't, how do you plan to get back on track?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images