College Goals: Sping Semester 2017

12:40 PM


First, a small recap:
In 2015, I decided to go back to college with two goals in mind. I wanted to have an education under my belt that reflected my work in Social Media Management (which I no longer do, btw), and I needed something to do that would distract me from my decision to end my career in Halloween.

On the very first day of school, I dropped Selling. I decided right then and there that this was not the direction of my life.

However, I was drawn into my other classes, especially Family Communications and Child Development. I found a lot of answers to questions I didn't know I had, and worked through a lot of issues bubbling beneath the surface. Intro to Psychology was also interesting, and I learned from 2015 that I absolutely loved being in school.

My goals for Spring 2016 were pretty much to determine my major. It was a tossup between Communications, Psychology, and Child Development. It took me a whole semester (!) to get these details nailed down with the counseling department, but by the close of Spring 2016 I had my major, and I had a plan. I was set to graduate with two AAs: one in Social Sciences, and one in Child Development. Other goals included getting Academic Clemency and sorting out issues from transferring credits.

Summer 2016 I wanted to knock some prerequisites out of the way, and a waitlisting issue had me in Intro to Philosophy. I found a new love of my life at that time, and promptly registered for another Philosophy class for fall.

Fall 2016 I had two goals. One, get through Math...which I did not do. I had to drop the class midway through because I failed the midterm. I would have stuck with it and busted my butt for a C, but the thing was...everyone failed the midterm. I realized I did not want to stick through a semester of Math and do all the work I was doing to be handed an F, when I know I could pull better than that. The second goal was to really determine if Child Development was really the major for me. Call me indecisive, but I like to really consider my decisions, especially ones that have lifelong consequences such as determining a major. I took classes without my favorite teacher (to make sure that I wasn't just doing the classes because I liked being in class with my favorite teacher), but at the end I realized this is what I wanted to do: be a teacher.

After the year and a half spent back in college, I realize that I need to set some stringent goals if I want to transfer on time. I've looked back at what I've accomplished (determined a major, managed to get all As since returning to school) and all that I failed to accomplish (complete Math requirements for my major), and all that I wish I had attempted, and have come up with a few goals:

My Spring 2017 Goals
  1. Read all my textbooks: This seems like a no-brainer, but how many of us actually read all of our textbooks? Last semester I found myself skimming some books, which I didn't like because I like to read. I think I had some time management issues that kept me from committing to my reading, but this semester I want to stay dedicated. I've even started the reading already!
  2. Do my homework ahead of time: When I come from home from school I like to sit down and watch a show. This semester, I want to come home and immediately get started on homework. 
  3. Really get math out of the way: This is the last semester I want to spend doing Math. I want it done! I need to get it done so I can take statistics, and I do not want to waste another semester in Math!
  4. Be a better team leader: I found myself floundering in one group project last semester because I did not take my own advice and take the leadership role right off the bat. I did not delegate and I did not plan. Even though we got an A, this project caused me a lot of anxiety that planning would have alleviated. My goal is to be a better team leader so at least I can rest a little easier!
  5. Balance school and life a bit better: My room, car, and desk were an atrocious mess after this semester! At some point my organization system crashed and I did nothing to fix it. Papers were everywhere, I abandoned my binder at some point, and my textbooks found a home on the floor of the passenger side of my car. This was not okay...just looking at the mess caused me anxiety because I knew I had to clean it but had no time to do so! This semester, I want to make sure I stay organized, and make sure I have time to take care of Real Life things like cleaning.

Aside from these academic goals, I have other life goals (or resolutions) that I have in place for this year that will effect my school:

2017 Life Goals
  1. Pay down more debt: I paid off one credit card (for my abrupt wisdom teeth removal in Summer), but I have two more bills I'd like paid off before I transfer. Like many adults going into college, I am chiefly responsible for my own finances. If I am going to get student loans in the future, I want my credit to be tip-top. This may mean I need to pull more work hours (I work full time) or even buckle down on my budget more. Either way, this is a goal and I will do what I need to make it happen!
  2. Get my side hustle going: I'm an artist and create illustrations for books, but I started a coloring page side hustle that I've done nothing with. I'd like to get that off the ground this year.
  3. Start working in my major: I'm already looking at night, weekend, and 24/7 child care services to send my resume to. I like the job I am in and would like to keep it, but I'd like to start working in my major in a part time or volunteer basis. Last time I went to school I waited until I graduated to start working in the field, which put me at a severe disadvantage. This time around, I want to avoid that mistake. The trick will be to find something that will work with my work and school schedule.
What are some of your goals for Spring 2017?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images