How High Unit Non-Traditional College Students Can Petition for Registration Priority

12:00 PM


I came back to Chaffey with a lot of credits, and for some reason they decided to transfer in all of them even though I was only going to use the general education credits. This meant I was over a 100 credit limit, a limit imposed by a Student Success Initiative that was part of the California Student Success Act of 2012. I lost my registration priority status (how far down the line of students I was in the line to register for classes each semester) almost immediately.

This is a frustration for many non-traditional students who return to California junior colleges, especially those who are transitioning careers or returning to school. Like myself, they may have credits or degrees they are no longer using. Most of the credits that caused a problem for me were from FIDM, a fashion design school, and I was not using any of them for Psychology or Child Development.

I spent most of the past 3 years being waitlisted for classes, which meant I had to arrive on the first day of class in hopes that someone didn't show up so that I could take their spot (which usually happened). It was rare that I got on the list for a registered spot, and a few semesters ended up having all my classes being waitlisted. Some I couldn't get into at all, and thus why I changed my major from Child Development to Psychology this year.

Womp! That 154 sure did mess up my registration priority!

While I understand the need to impose a limit, as some people are out there to collect degrees, or may not be serious about finishing school at all, for us non-traditional students, these unit limits can be a hamper to our success. Luckily, most schools allow you to petition against this limit, especially if you are close to completing your AA.

Make sure your college has a unit limit, and if it does, that it allows petitions.

I am not sure about colleges outside of California, but talk with your counselor about this limit if they do. Ask them if there is a way to get around the limit, and explain the situation. Non-traditional students are not unheard of, and you wont be the first one to ask this question, I promise. They will hopefully do their best to ensure your success, as most junior colleges want you to complete your studies and move on so that others can take your place (sort of like McDonald's and their not-comfortable-chairs).

Make sure you meet the requirements for a petition if they do have one.

My college has specific requirements that make a student eligible for the petition.

  • Have more than 100 degree applicable units - this is a no-brainer. Check to make sure that your college transferred in all your units, and that there isn't a mistake if you feel you are under 100 units.
  • Minimum 2.0 GPA - if you've lost your registration priority for reasons other than just 100 unit limits, you need to prove that you want to be at school by bringing up your grades. Otherwise, the spot you take in class could go to a more serious college student who will be getting those 3.0 and 4.0 grades.
  • No more than 2 semesters remaining to complete academic goal - this usually means graduation, transferring, or picking up missing classes to finish a bachelor's.

Fill out the petition and complete all of its requirements.

Each step must be completed, because you are going to be handing this off to a stranger who doesn't know you and won't be able to grant priority on good graces alone.

  • A statement of intent - why are you pursuing this petition? Were there extenuating circumstances like accidents, illness, or economic issues? Are you in a high-unit major (like nursing)? Explain your situation in a way that doesn't point blame at any person, like a counselor or teacher. For example, I let my school know that without priority registration, it was unlikely that I would be able to leave Chaffey without a degree to show for all my hard work, and I had been here for 3 years trying to complete this degree. I also let them know that I was changing careers, and that the economy made it very hard for me to afford transferring without an AA in hand. I also mentioned my GPA - a 4.0 - as proof that I was serious about leaving Chaffey at the end of Spring 2018 and would not squander my priority registration spot.
  • Documentation to support claim - whatever you write about in the statement, be prepared to show evidence. My transcripts were used to show my GPA, and my education plan was used to show what I planned to do for Spring 2018. But whatever your circumstances are, be sure to show some sort of documented proof, i.e. a service report or hospital bill. 
  • Education plan - most schools have these, and you can view them on the school's portal. This is just a counselor approved plan showing that you are on track to complete your degree.
  • Assessment recommendations/placement scores, or completed prerequisite class grades - when I went back to Chaffey, my counselor said I didn't need to do assessment testing, as most of my educational prerequisites were done. All I had to do was finish College Algebra. I attached a letter stating my grades for these classes instead of scores, but if you have scores, add them.
  • Transcripts - unofficial transcripts are usually used for the petition, and show the reviewers your GPA but also how well you are following your education plan.


Sign, date, complete, and turn in the petition.

This means not only you signing the petition, but having your counselor sign the petition too. This shows that the counselor approves of your action of petitioning for registration priority. 

This portion also serves another purpose, and I will quote Chaffey's petition:

"I understand that approval of this petition allows me to retain my current registration standing for two semesters, beginning with the semester indicated above. I also understand that this is a one-time exception. There is no guarantee that this petition will be approved and, if approved, does not guarantee enrollment in any class. I acknowledge that all committee decisions are final and are not subject to further appeal. I also understand that by submitting this petition all transfer units will be posted to my Chaffey transcripts, which may affect my eligibility for financial aid."


If you find a paragraph like the above on your petition, know that this is one and done. If you get denied, you can't go back and petition again!

Or can you?

I actually did petition before, about a year and a half ago, when I was not close to finishing Child Development at all. I was denied, and when I wanted to petition again in October 2017, my counselor told me that I could possibly be disqualified because I had already petitioned. I sent in another one anyway, because if the answer is already no, what have I got to lose?

Thankfully I did, because this second petition was approved, and they moved my registration date from the 17th to the 8th!

So be sure to complete all the steps and turn the petition into the right office with all the attachments stapled to it. You deserve success, and if you are committed, getting those good grades, and dedicated to moving onto the next step, your high credit status should not hold you back!

Have you ever petitioned for registration priority? How did it work out for you?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images