Non-Traditional Student Spotlight: Stay At Home Mom Jennifer Felton Leads by Example

8:35 AM

The lives of non-traditional students are usually not what most people consider when they think of the Average College Student, but the truth is, the non-traditional student - a student who is above the age of 25, has delayed going to college or is returning, works full time, has children, or may be transitioning careers - is now the majority of most college populations. Even though this may be the case, non-traditional students are still seen as something of an anomaly, and their lives - and stories - may be overlooked in favor of the "typical" young, fresh-out-of-high-school university ideal.

While attending college for the second time, and in the midst of my own career change, I have run into many people whose stories mirror mine to some degree. In fact, most of the people I sit next to in class are non-traditional students of some sort, and we all have stories as individual as our needs for education. I hope with the Student Spotlight to shed light on these often unheard but incredibly important stories that are helping to shape the future of our society as a whole.



Before Fall of 2014, SAHM Jennifer Felton of Southern California was most concerned with coordinating homeschool for her five kids, which was more than a full-time job that, while beneficial to her family, did not contribute to the family's income. However, Felton, at the time 32 years old, understood the importance of education for her kids, and had opted for homeschooling so that they could reap the most benefits from their educational experience. When the importance of education and the desire to increase the family income collided, she knew that there was one thing she had to do: return to school as a non-traditional student.

Felton on a Geology trip to Joshua tree in December 2016.

When she first enrolled at Riverside City College, she did so with the end goal being that she would become a teacher for charter schools, where she would work with independent study students from home. She faced the prospect of obtaining a liberal arts degree, which is what many in the teaching profession obtain, but she wanted something a little more specific, like an English, Science, or History degree. "I really felt strongly that if I was going to spend all that time and money going to school, I didn't want a liberal arts degree," she said.

She took an Introduction to Teaching class and volunteered in a few classrooms, only to find that there were certain aspects of teaching that she did not like. And, she did not want to risk a future endeavor when the future of homeschooling and charter schools could always change. She faced a dilemma; she wanted to stay in school and solve her original problem of trying to improve the family's finances while also providing a good example for her children. She found the solution in a Geology class.


Exploring lava tubes in October 2016. Going back to school helped Felton discover her passion for Geology.

"I have always loved Geology," she said. "There was a professor who, at the start of the lab, told us of all the different jobs you could do with a Geology degree. I was amazed. I had thought that Geology jobs were only for looking at earthquakes and that there were no job opportunities. She changed my mind and led me to change my major." These opportunities are not always well known, including environmental clean-up, working with engineering firms, cities, and states, working to help solve water problems (like the drought in California), as well as working for energy companies.

However, even though her Geology professor was a catalyst in helping Felton find her passion, returning to school brought many changes and challenges. "My mom and dad were really happy that I went back. My friends are all happy that I went back, and have been really helpful and encouraging. My kids are proud of me, even though my youngest (who was turning 4 years old at the time) always says he wishes I just stayed at home with him. He knows how to work that mom guilt, but when I'm gone I know he really doesn't notice much."

Her children, however, are not considered separate from her own educational endeavors. Felton includes them in many of her homework activities. "They go to the college campus for...the observatory that I wouldn't have probably known about if I didn't go," she said. "I also ask my professors about suggestions and ideas in homeschooling my kids. My geology teacher told me about a lot of local field trip spots, my math teacher told me about the curriculum they use to help kids entering college who are struggling. We do schoolwork together a lot."

"I am able to prepare them for college," she continued. "Plus I can stress to them the importance of an education or tradeschool. I try to let them explore and meet different people who do different jobs so they can decide what they want to go to school for, or what they are going to do if they don't (go to college."

There are times when school and home don't always agree. For most of those times, Felton hires a friend to come and tutor her children when she will be away from home for long periods of time. Even then, the responsibilities of being a mom take priority, especially when some school events are not scheduled with non-traditional students in mind.

"I can't do a lot of things that I would do at school if I didn't have kids," Felton continued. "But I am at least moving towards a job and decent money of my own." She stated that she'd love to participate in clubs and organizations, work-study, and tutoring, where child-care is not provided by the school. "There's a week-long Spring Break geology trip that I would love to do, but I would be so anxious about my kids that it would probably be hard to do good learning."

There are other obstacles that non-traditional students like Felton face, which usually come in the form of finding and keeping financial aid. Most returning students, or those who go to college to change careers face the issue of having too many credits - most of which are not useful to their current major - to qualify for financial aid. "They won't give me a Pell grant (anymore)," Felton said. "I appealed."

Felton states that the key to success in school as a mother is knowing how to divide her time between the different needs in her life. "It's (about) balancing relationships and my own sense of self," she says.

Graduation!

Felton has graduated RCC with her AA and AS. "I did it!" she exclaimed. "I was mostly proud that I went back and finished it. I was proud for every night that I stayed up and worked on homework. I was proud that I studied and I asked for tutoring. I was proud (that) I tried and did even when I thought I couldn't. I was proud that even with certain...roadblocks in my way, I still kept at it."


The next steps for Felton include transferring to Cal State University Fullerton where she plans to get her Bachelor's of Science in Geology. While she is a bit concerned with scheduling her time in order to get to campus and back, she has decided on CSUF because of their Geology program's reputation. She sees no limits to her education, and plans to get a MS in geology at UC Riverside with a minor in hydrology or environmental studies, and maybe even a doctorate.

How does your experience in college differ from that of the traditional college student? What about Jennifer's story has helped you to understand your own educational goals?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images